|Land use in and around the City of Kingsford (City)
has changed significantly over the past 100 years. Prior to the 1920s, the area currently occupied by the City primarily was used
for agriculture and timber processing. From the 1870s to the 1920s much of the original forest in the area was cleared.
During the 1920s, the City was incorporated and agricultural
land was developed into residential and industrial property. Residential areas were developed south of Breitung Avenue toward
the Menominee River and also north of Woodward Avenue. Industrial activity focused on the Ford Motor Companys wooden auto-parts
manufacturing facility (the former plant site), generally situated in an area bordered to the north by Pyle Drive, to the south by
Breitung Avenue, to the east by Hooper Street, and on the west by the Menominee River. Activities conducted at the facility included
the manufacturing of wooden automobile parts, assembly of automobile bodies and gliders, production of charcoal and wood distillation
As development of the City continued, other companies built
and operated commercial facilities such as stores, gas stations, and a manufactured gas plant. Existing industries such as timber
processing also continued operations.
In 1951, Kingsford Chemical Company purchased Ford's
manufacturing facility. Kingsford Chemical Company continued the distillation and charcoal production activities until 1957,
when it became Kingsford Company. Production operations continued at the facility until 1961. For several years thereafter,
Kingsford Company leased the three plant buildings to other industries that conducted different types of business activities.
During the operation of the former plant, the former Northeast and
Southwest Pits were primarily used for disposal of wastewater from the plant operations. This wastewater contained
wood by-products and other natural organic compounds, as well as some suspended solid material. Some solid organic materials remain
in the former pits, primarily in the former Northeast Pit. Data collected from the Kingsford Study Area show that some liquid organic compounds
are present in the groundwater or have naturally broken down within the groundwater system. The natural breakdown of these wood by-products
and other organic materials has contributed to the generation of methane within the Kingsford Study Area.
Groundwater from the former plant site generally flows towards
the southwest and vents into the Menominee River. A groundwater extraction and treatment system near the Menominee River was
constructed and is operated by ARCADIS. The groundwater treatment system appropriately and
efficiently treats the extracted groundwater through a process similar to that used by municipal wastewater treatment plants.
The municipal drinking water wells are located outside and upgradient of the Kingsford Study Area and the municipal water supply is
not affected by the impacted groundwater in the Kingsford Study Area.
Click here to view Location Map
The State of Michigan, Ford Motor Company and The Kingsford
Products Company (Ford and Kingsford Products) reached an agreement in 2004 on a Consent Judgment regarding long-term environmental
response and monitoring activities in the Kingsford Study Area. Ford and Kingsford Products have been cooperatively working with the
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), local officials and the community to address issues associated with their
historical operations in Kingsford since 1998.
Click here for more information on the Consent Judgment
Click here to read the full Consent Judgment
Click on the links below to vew previously released Progress Update newsletters distributed by Ford Motor Company and The Kingsford Products Company.
Progress Update Spring 2006
Progress Update December 2004
Progress Update May 2004
Progress Update December 2002
Progress Update June 2002
Progress Update September 2001
Progress Update November 2000
Progress Update June 2000